Questions & answers
- First of all, do a complete background check on the lawyer.
- Look for the references and talk to them regarding their experience.
- Check communication system whether he/she is equipped enough to provide you regular updates.
- Check the success rate of the cases they have undertaken.
- Check their experience and knowledge on the subject.
- A competent lawyer will always tell you his/her experience on the matter.
- A litigation lawyer should be aggressive to finish your matter without wasting any time. Being an NRI, it is imperative you look for the lawyer, who do not waste time in the courts and who look forward to providing you with the solutions.
- The fee is an important consideration. Talk about payment up front from start to finish. In India, it is common that lawyers keep things open ended in such cases the client ends up paying way too much that he might have anticipated in the beginning.
- Freeze your fees and the payment structure.
- Once you have all these answers, you will never be duped by any lawyer in India.
- It is your responsibility to do all these background checks before you choose your army to fight the legal battle in the country like India. Safeguard yourself and choose wisely.
The first course of action should constantly be to issue a letter in writing to the builder stating your complaint. Ensure that all assurances by the builder of giving you possession on such and such date are given to you in writing on the letterhead and under the seal of the builder. If it appears that the builder will not be giving you possession in an acceptable time period then you may approach CREDIA for mediation.
A compromise deed is a compromise between the two parties that is made after negotiation and the content thereof are documented and registered before the Sub Registrar. The compromise deed is a legal document and enforceable in law.
Presently the NRI partition cases in Punjab are taken through District Revenue Officer (DRO) in every district in Punjab. This was previously taken through Thasildars.